Monday Mammal #9: Marsh Rice Rat

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM Bookmark and Share
Many of this week's Monday Mammal, the Marsh Rice Rat (Oryzomys palustris), have likely perished recently as oil from the spill off of the Louisiana coastline has been recently been penetrating the coastal salt marshes.  Fortunately, these little rodents aren't limited to these coastal marshes (unlike some species), and should (as a species, at least) persist beyond the recent disaster.

Figure 1:  "Oryzomys palustris - lower image is silvery subspecies O. p. argentatus of Florida Keys
Credit: painting by Ron Klinger from Kays and Wilson's Mammals of North America,
© Princeton University Press (2002)"  [Source]

This rather broad ranging American native was first described in 1837 from a specimen taken in the north of their range in Salem Co. New Jersey.  They are semi-aquatic, mostly nocturnal omnivores and are found primarily in coastal (salt water) and interior (fresh water) marshes.  Like many (most?) other species, their distribution hasn't always been restricted to their current range.  Despite being endemic to the south eastern U.S. their ancestors likely trace back to central and South America.

These rats belong to the subfamily Sigmodontinae, the South American rats and mice. While there is one other species of Oryzomys that makes it up into North America -- the Coues's Rice Rat (O. couesi) which occurs in southern Texas -- the other species in the genus Oryzomys all appear to occur further south.

Oh, and here's one of those random facts you just don't find in species accounts any more -- just in case you were wondering how different these rats are from their domestic cousins. Unlike domestic rats, Marsh Rice Rats have 27 pairs of autosomal chromosomes plus two sex chromosomes for a grand total of 56 chromosomes...

Hmm... this could make for a nice little pop quiz!  Do you know how many chromosomes do we humans have?

2 comments:

Posted by: CELINE | 1/18/2022 12:27 PM

BEST WAYS TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK AND RESTORED YOUR BROKEN MARRIAGE OR RELATIONSHIP FROM SORROW TO HAPPINESS.

Help me thank Dromokpo@gmail.com for helping me get my ex husband back to me and my family. This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband left me some years ago for another woman and they both planned to get married. I am so surprised he just came back to me one cool afternoon on Saturday June, begging and crying for me to take him back and to forgive him for breaking up our marriage home and forsaking me and the children. Dr Omokpo is a true spiritualist savior . He brought my husband back”

if you have any worries or you have any problem in your marriages or relationships you can reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

Posted by: ANITA DELPH | 1/22/2022 12:41 PM

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR LARRY CONTACT ON WHATSAPP NUMBER +1(424)-261-8520

I want to say thank you to Dr Larry for the good thing he has done for me though I am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has done for me but I can't hide my happiness and my Joy so I have to share it with the world.
My marriage crashed about two years ago and I tried all I could within my powers to restore it but to no avail. I saw different posts and testimonies about the good things Dr Larry has been doing so I decided to give it a try. Though he is always a busy man, when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48 hours for my marriage to be restored and just like he said my marriage was restored, since then I am happy and I am living happily in my marriage. I am so grateful to Dr Larry you can always contact him here: assurancesolutionhome@gmail. com or you can WhatsApp him via +1(424)-261-8520 website http://assurancesolutioncenter.website2.me/

Post a Comment