The Difference Between "Intelligent Design" and "Creationism"?

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM Bookmark and Share
Here's a fantastic article you should check out: Still Trying to Get Creationism into Science Classes: Five Years After Kitzmiller v. Dover, Discovery Institute Hasn’t Changed its Playbook. The article covers the relationship between ID and creationism and gives a nice, brief history of the Discovery Institute (DI).

If you're unfamiliar with their history...
Let’s start with the so-called Wedge Document. In 1998, DI put out a fundraising document that plainly set forth its “governing goals,” which included these aims:
To defeat scientific materialism and its destructive moral, cultural, and political legacies; and to replace materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and human beings are created by God.
Sounds like a pretty clear mission statement to me. But there’s more...

Also pointed out in the article is one big similarity between the Dover trial (covered in this documentary) and the recent ruling against Prop. 8 in California:
An interesting comparison can be made to the recent decision of Judge Vaughn R. Walker about Proposition 8. In the Prop. 8 case as in Dover, the supposed scientific arguments of religiously motivated organizations often don’t hold up well in a courtroom where they are required to present the evidence of their assertions.

[Hat tip to the NCSE]

4 comments:

Posted by: Unknown | 8/13/2010 5:03 PM

Thanks for sharing this article. My favorite tid-bit;
"LSEA specifically targets “evolution, the origins of life, global warming, and human cloning” as subjects in which educators are required to “promote critical thinking skills.”" What would Christians have against human cloning? Wasn't Eve created from the rib of Adam? Sounds like the first instance of human cloning to me ;).

Posted by: Paul | 8/13/2010 5:06 PM

same with Global warming - I mean, it does seem consistent with the world going to hell in a handbasket ;)

Posted by: Anonymous | 4/30/2021 5:38 PM

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

Posted by: Anonymous | 10/10/2022 8:00 PM

My husband was cheating on me and no longer committed to me and our kids, when i asked him what the problem was he told me he has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce.i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but he left home, i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful dr ovie have helped so many people in similar situation like mine, his email address was written so i sent him an email telling him about my problem,he told me he shall return back to me within 24hrs, i did everything he asked me to do the next day to my greatest surprise, my husband came back home and was crying and begging for me to forgive and accept him back,now we are happy together if you need his help contact him email:droviespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349056460552

Post a Comment