How hard is it to forward a few emails?

Friday, October 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM Bookmark and Share
Apparently, kinda hard. I just learned that for at least the past 2+ weeks, certain emails haven't been making it to my academic email address. Not all of them, no, just the ones from (are you sitting down?) everyone at my own University.

Figure 1. Author's rendition of how email works (black), and doesn't work (red).

Our departmental email system recently throat-punched itself to death got an upgrade and it was decided that all emails should hence forth get forwarded to our main university email account. It makes sense, and doesn't sound all that hard to implement - right?

For reasons I won't go into here, I like to keep the two separate so (as was the case prior to the throat-punching upgrade) I had my departmental email forwarded to a gmail account. Somehow, this resulted in all external emails and any emails sent from within the department getting through to that gmail account, but not any emails from others at my MRU - you know, like any administrative folks, professors, researchers, or other grad students I might need to be in contact with. To make matters worse, they don't bounce back or otherwise fail - they just disappear. That means anyone sending me an email doesn't get a warning that I won't ever see that email they just sent.

Fortunately, the tech team is on top of it as I type this and no doubt they'll have the problem resolved in short order. Just needed to rant about it a bit so I could get back to working on that thesis thing I'm trying to wrap up. ;)

Update:

So it turns out I was wrong (kind of...). My emails weren't being forwarded to the proper place, so no emails were lost - just misplaced. Thankfully, the technician in charge of our system finally has all my emails going to the right inbox. Problems solved :)

2 comments:

Posted by: Anonymous | 4/30/2021 4:18 PM

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

Posted by: Anonymous | 10/10/2022 7:49 PM

My husband was cheating on me and no longer committed to me and our kids, when i asked him what the problem was he told me he has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce.i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but he left home, i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful dr ovie have helped so many people in similar situation like mine, his email address was written so i sent him an email telling him about my problem,he told me he shall return back to me within 24hrs, i did everything he asked me to do the next day to my greatest surprise, my husband came back home and was crying and begging for me to forgive and accept him back,now we are happy together if you need his help contact him email:droviespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349056460552

Post a Comment